Food manufacturers rely on ROSS for a wide range of processing objectives including dry blending, emulsification, high-speed powder induction, dissolution, dispersion, high-viscosity mixing, and many more. ROSS' well-proven mixer and blender designs contribute to the growing success of food companies, meeting their requirements for consistency, quality, and freshness, helping them develop new innovative products while lowering production costs and simplifying maintenance.
At the heart of transforming raw ingredients into food for human consumption is the mixing operation. One of its main tasks, which other food processing steps also share, is to establish consistency. Whether a food product requires small-scale mixing by hand or high-volume blending of multiple ingredients, at-home cooks and process engineers alike know the importance of proper mixing. Even with the right amount of ingredients and flavors, a great recipe will not transform into good food unless the components are well-mixed. Taste, texture, color, appearance – these are all crucial parameters intimately influenced by the mixing process. Consumers expect that the food products they patronize will be exactly the same as the ones they had last. It is easy to understand that within the food industry, a high level of consistency is required not just batch-to-batch but facility-to-facility. In this market, consistency is the backbone of consumer loyalty.
ROSS Food Mixing equipment includes Dry Blenders, High Shear Mixers with SLIM Technology, Dual Shaft and Triple Shaft Mixers, and Double Planetary Mixers. Below is an in-depth look at the various food-mixing applications ROSS services.
- Cheesecake Formulations - Mixing butter and cheese until a smooth, lump-free, creamy consistency is achieved without "breaking up" the butter, overbeating the cream cheese, or overheating the mixture is the key to success.
- Candy and Confectionary Products - The ROSS VersaMix is the new choice for candy and confectionary manufacturers. This highly viscous application was previously made using double-arm sigma blade mixers. However, gum dispersion can be inadequate resulting in fish eyes and lumps in the finished product. Several lab tests have confirmed that the VersaMix can properly disperse these gums and create a smoother, better-quality product. Conventional propeller or turbine mixers simply cannot achieve the same level of dispersion nor could they handle this tough mixing application.
- Dry Solid Blends - The food industry is the main end user of most ROSS Ribbon Blenders. Common applications include coffee, spices, food coloring, flour, sugar, cake and bread mixes, frozen vegetables, salsa mixes, snack foods, and tea blends.
- Gums - ROSS Kneader Extruders are appropriate equipment for processing chewing gums and other extremely viscous food products.
- Juices - Fortified milk and juices are prepared in ROSS Sanitary High Shear Mixers.
- Mayonnaise, Ketchup, Dressings - ROSS Ultra-High Shear Mixers are great alternatives to expensive and high-maintenance high-pressure homogenizers when it comes to preparing fine food emulsions and dispersions as in salad dressings, mustard sauce, ketchup, etc.
- Pet Foods - ROSS Blenders are also commonly used for making pet food mixes and animal feeds.
- Syrups - In various soft drink manufacturing facilities, ROSS High Shear Mixers are successfully being used for dissolving preservatives and artificial sweeteners into water. Previously, propeller mixers were being used which were not able to eliminate the lumps formed by the preservative and sweetener.
- Sauces - A major supplier of pizza sauce utilizes a ROSS Dual Shaft Mixer with Anchor and Disperser to blend large volumes of tomato paste with water, salt, and spices.
- Meats and Seafood - The ROSS Ribbon Blender is being used by a customer to blend fresh shrimp with cocktail sauce. Chopped meats and vegetables may likewise be mixed in a ROSS Paddle Blender.
- Soup Bases - The gentle blending action of the ROSS Vertical Blender makes it ideal for soups.
- Plant-based proteins - Various ROSS Mixers and Blenders are employed in the development and production of plant-based meats, milks, cheeses, butters, eggs, and other proteins.